Monday, February 25, 2013

The Countdown is On

17 days until surgery!!!  Yikes.

Here's a fun list of our expected medical expenses for this year:

Surgery with an out-of-network provider at an out-of network hospital
Flights to and from New York for surgery
Physical Therapy before and after surgery
Lodging for 10 days in New York
Rental car for 10 days in New York
New Aspen Collar
Massage Therapy after surgery
Dry Needling after surgery
DEXA scan before surgery

Also, we found out that our insurance premiums, deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximums have all been doubled this year.  In addition, our out-of-network coverage has been lowered to 70%.
















If you are able to help in any way with these costs, it would mean so much to us.  My medical fundraiser page can be found here:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/Carolyn-s-Surgery-Fund/36820

We are so grateful for your support!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

Last week was torture.  I had a migraine with pain level between 8 and 10 for five days straight.  It killed me, and made me really scared for the upcoming surgical pain.  But also hopeful that days like these may be less once my skull is stabilized.

Today, I had my DEXA scan.  A simple test that consists of a few x-rays that is used to determine your bone density.  In a week, I'll get the results to confirm that my bones are still strong enough for surgery.

This week, I have to say goodbye to my piano students, which breaks my heart.  I won't be living in Milwaukee ever again!  I'll spend recovery in Illinois, then move to Madison, with my husband.  So I have to leave my students behind, which is really heart-breaking.

Next week, I have a doctor's appointment for surgical clearance.  This is basically a very thorough physical with a complete blood work-up.

We leave for New York on March 12.  Pre-surgical testing at the hospital in NY is the 13th.  Surgery starts at 7:30 AM on the 14th.

I'll update again soon, as my thoughts are more and more consumed with anxieties, fears, maybe even a few hopes?

Hope things are going well, and thanks so much for checking in!