Tuesday, September 7, 2010

19 days after surgery

Day 14
Day 19


I've had some strange "side effects" from surgery that I expect to wear off after some time. Some have already begun to wear off.

First, my voice was very weak, strained, and hoarse after surgery. Luckily, this one has already improved dramatically.

Also, my jaw cracks on the right side when on open it. This is also happening less.

My right ear has been behaving very strangely. At first, it would vibrate and buzz at certain sounds. Now, it just echoes my voice and amplifies sound sometimes. Getting better.

There is a strange clicking sound and feeling in the back left side of my head with the impact of walking. I wasn't sure if this would improve, but during today's walk, for the first time, the clicking decreased in frequency.

The back of my head is still full of fluid. It is one large pocket of fluid. I have trouble resting my head at all, because of the pressure of the fluid. Still waiting for the fluid to be absorbed and the pressure to go down.

In the time from pre-surgical testing to the time I got my stitches removed, I lost 10 pounds. That wouldn't be hard to gain back, but I'm hoping to gain back more muscle than fat, so it could take some time.

On Saturday, September 4th, I took my first shower. Washing my hair was near impossible. My head and scalp are so sensitive to the touch. Just moving my hair around is painful at this point. Unfortunately, as I did wash my hair, I noticed it falling out in chunks. It was distressing. Luckily, I wasn't left with nothing. This was apparently an effect of the eight hours of anesthesia. Hopefully, I won't lose the rest of it! It seems to come out at the lightest touch.

Sunday and Monday, I began having new, sudden, sharp pains in my head. I'm sure that's just part of the healing process.

Today, I had a bit of a rough time. My vision has blacked out three times. I collapsed once. My blood pressure has been low today, around 90/70. I've also had palpitations, tachycardia, and the feeling of a very reactive heart.

I'm also feeling very achy today and my joints hurt more than they have been.

I've been feeling emotional today, too. Knowing that the POTS recovery will take a long time, and certainly wasn't "cured" by the surgery. Everything in its own time.