Friday, February 27, 2009

Gravity: my nemesis, and distractions

So, yesterday, I lost consciousness twice. I was out of breath quite a bit, even while lying down at times. It was so exhausting. When I came home at the end of the day, I just couldn't get enough oxygen in and collapsed. I was still gasping for breath when I awoke. The traction was the only thing that helped. Unfortunately, traction only helps me for the time I'm in it, which is no more than an hour and half a day, usually once before work/activity, and once after, no more than 45 minutes at a time. The rest of the day, I am not helped at all. So it is not exactly a treatment, and it doesn't make my active life any easier. It just gives me a chance to feel better lying flat on my back for a short time each day. I am thankful for that relief, but it is not an answer.

Also, while I'm in traction, sometimes the weight is right on my titanium rods, which can be really painful, but it is worth it for the relief of other symptoms.

Now that that is all cleared up...I do have physical therapy today. And it will be a challenge, because I am very short of breath today. We'll see how she handles it. I'll be wearing my heart rate monitor, so she can see just how wacky my heart really is. We might get to go in the water, too! That would be great for me, because I know how much easier it is to function without the strong pull of gravity. I wish we all lived in a waterworld. Except for the fact that I can't swim too much anymore, since I'm not supposed to turn my neck. That ruins almost every stroke...I never was a good back-stroker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My distraction for the day:
I have a few notes on American Idol to share with anyone interested:

Group 1: I love Danny Gokey. Michael and Alexis are fine. I would have been happier with Jackie Tohn and Anoop Desai.

Group 2: Adam has "mad talent". Allison and Kris are alright. I think Matt Giraud and Mishavonna should have been in there.

Those are my thoughts so far. Anoop and Matt G. are my favorites for the Wild Card show. I really hope they come back. Jackie and Mishavonna would be nice, too.

Thanks for listening to my unrelated and unimportant thoughts.