Friday, December 18, 2009

Frustrating Heart Symptom

I have had this symptom occasionally for a long time, but every doctor has ignored it. I just want to know what it is, especially since it is getting more and more frequent.

So, originally, I labeled this symptom as a palpitation. But it seems to be more than that.

I will do my best to describe.

It feels like my heart forgets to beat, and then starts pounding and trying to make up for what it missed. It feels a bit like being startled. But I don't just feel it in my chest. I feel the pounding in my hands and the front of my face, too.

It usually happens spontaneously. But when it's really bad, it will happen repeatedly, especially when I try to talk or even just exhale.

Another way to describe it is the feeling you get when you hold your breath for too long, so your heart starts pounding. But I'm not holding my breath.

I would really like to know what is happening, and why. I also wonder if an anti-arrhythmia drug might help.

Too bad none of my cardiologists have ever taken me seriously. But it feels like a symptom that should be taken seriously. It disrupts whatever I'm doing, often for an entire day. The only relief comes from laying flat and breathing steadily (not too fast or slow).

Yet another reason to never again leave my bed.