Tuesday, September 15, 2009

MBT's, my new shoes

So, on the advice of a blogger friend, I bought myself of a pair of MBT's. MBT's are the anti-shoe. They produce an unstable walking surface, which strengthens muscles, challenges balance, improves posture, and absorbs impact. Basically, they do what they're supposed to do. You have to make sure to walk heel to toe to get the most out of them.

The best thing about them is that they activate the leg muscles, even when standing still, making me less likely to pass out, since my muscles are squeezing blood back up to my brain. Awesome!

They're quite pricey, so I recommend trying them on for fit at a local store, then buying them online at a clearance rate. I was able to purchase a discontinued style. It doesn't seem to bother me that my shoes are "so last season".

The MBT's should also be good for EDS, since they strengthen the small stabilizing muscles around the joints. I still can't spend a day on my feet without my futuro knee braces though.

The only thing is, these shoes are supposed to be the most comfortable shoes you'll ever wear. And maybe, if I could have bought the style I tried on, they would be. But I could only afford a discontinued style. And man, my feet really hurt at the end of the day. Maybe it's the style, or maybe it's just that I'm doing more standing and walking than I normally would, so my feet need to get used to it. Either way, foot pain is now a daily complaint for me. (By the way, the shoes feel great for the first hour I wear them. So it is likely just my feet adjusting to the extra use. The shoes are really not the problem.)

If you can't find MBT's, Skechers has come out with a line of shoes called "shape-ups" that are supposed to be very similar. They should be more widely available. But I haven't actually tried them to vouch for them.