Friday, March 14, 2008

Symptoms of Tethered Cord Getting Worse

I'm starting to realize that I really do have lower body symptoms that are getting worse. I've had achy legs for a long time, but that's nothing new. Also, I'm having trouble getting comfortable in bed. My upper and lower body refuse to be comfortable, even in my super-expensive sleep number bed with the specially-designed chiari pillow. I think I'll have to go to the sleep number store to try a new pillow. They have expensive pillows, but it will be worth it if I can get comfortable in bed...ever.

But worse than that, I've noticed a progression in my bladder symptoms, which are a hallmark of tethered cord syndrome, since your bladder is controlled by the nerves at the base of your spinal cord. I am fortunate enough not to suffer from incontinence. But I do have incomplete emptying of the bladder. This means that I'll wake up during the night multiple times to have to go again and again.

It's annoying, but the scary part is that it's a sign of progression, which eventually does lead to incontinence. So, the sooner the detethering can be done, the better the chances of making a full recovery without any further nerve damage.

It's so hard to wait to see Dr. B. I want to get all better. Well, I want to get any painful things over with so I can start recovering.