Thursday, March 27, 2008

Worried about working

My headache is about a 6 or 7 on the pain scale today. My baseline headache is a 4, so it's significantly worse today. It feels like a high pressure headache to me. The pressure is allover my head, and somewhat relieved by applying external pressure to my temples, cheekbones, or even the top of my head. I still seem to have temperamental intra-cranial pressure. It can't help that I take salt pills to keep my blood pressure up. Because many people will treat high pressure with a diuretic, which is the opposite. So I'm sure the excess sodium doesn't help my head pressure. Ugh.

Also, standing up for even a short time has been making me so winded.

And the nausea from sitting up continues.

These symptoms are getting noticeably worse. It really scares me. This is my spring break week, meaning my piano students are off from school, so I gave them (and myself) the week off from lessons. But it really makes me wonder how much longer I'll be able to pull this off. I work around 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, normally. At least I have been since last fall. But lately, I've had to cancel more frequently. And with symptoms worsening so quickly, I'm afraid I won't be able to teach at all much longer. I was hoping to last until May 15th, when I go to The Chiari Institute in New York. Then, I thought I could give the students the summer off and try to have any surgery done, then. But what if I can't do it? What if I can't wait until summer? And what if I don't recover in time to restart in the fall? I know: it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just wish it weren't so complicated.