Saturday, April 18, 2009

Enjoying the Weekend

Today was pretty much a normal Saturday. My Provigil made me a little too restless (not actually productive, just restless). So around 4:00, Gus picked me up and carried me to bed, forcing me to give myself a break. I then realized just how much I needed the rest, because my body felt so terrible. I gave in to reading my book for 2 1/2 hours. At that point, I got up and ate some frozen pizza that Gus had thrown in the oven for me. Then, we watched the movie Doubt, which was very good. Followed that up with a bath for Buttons! It was difficult, as I already had some pretty bad spinal pain, but still fun. She then ran around the house like crazy for about 20 minutes. Now, we're both crashing, while Gus is working on more homework. Overall, a pretty good day.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to cook a meal that will last the week, which is always my main goal for Sundays. I like to be able to leave a bunch of leftover food in the fridge so Gus has food to eat during the week. He gets home too late to cook anything on a weekday. It's nice if I can do that one thing for him.

I did not sleep well last night (woke up often and slept very lightly...I even read a chapter in my book around 3 am). So, hopefully, tonight will be better. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing to do tomorrow. We don't even have any DVD's from Netflix that we haven't seen right now, so it will probably be another day of reading while Gus does work. By the way, the book I'm reading right now is The Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison. This is a book from Gus' bookshelf that he thought I would enjoy. I'm struggling to get through it, but I'm past the halfway point now, so there's no turning back. I'm not saying that racism in the mid-20th century isn't interesting, but the style is confusing and often boring. (Please don't take this as educated literary criticism. I understand that many consider this to be the best piece of 20th century literature.) Normally, I choose my own reading materials, so I know that I'm interested in the subject matter. I'm very relieved to be done with school and not have to analyze everything to death. I also like that I can finally just "enjoy" reading, now. I read a lot of books by Jodi Picoult...I've read almost every one. I also choose books somewhat randomly...often I buy what's on sale at Target. It might seem ridiculous, but it works pretty well for me.

I'm very excited that my Aunt Carole is coming in for a visit this week. It will be great to spend some time with her.

Also, this week, Gus and I will have our 3-year anniversary. We've known each other for 7 1/2 years. We've been close friends since senior year of high school. But it wasn't until three years ago that we finally got it right. It has been a bumpy road, with our first year being spent in different parts of the country. We've had some challenges, but I am proud to say that we are stronger now than ever. If I can just get this surgery out of the way and start recuperating, we can really start looking at our future together more seriously.