Monday, June 1, 2009

Bronchitis and Lots of News

So, I'm still working things out. Today is the first day that I've had no fever. But I have a nagging cough that is very deep in my chest. So, it seems that it has turned into bronchitis now. I don't have any more prescriptions to deal with it, so I'm sticking with maximum strength Mucinex and maximum strength Robitussin. They don't do much. I just have to hope that it gets better soon.

As far as my other symptoms go, the coughing is still making my headache worse. The pressure is pretty bad. I could use some traction to relieve the head pain. I also need a massage, since I missed it last week. I've also been very tired all day. Very, very tired. I slept 14 hours last night, and I feel like I could do it again right now. I used my walker for the first time today, and it really helped me deal with the balance problems. So, I'm a big fan of the walker.

I'm a bit concerned about summer work, because my schedule is not going to be regular, and I won't have regular income.

After sending a second email, I did hear back from Dr. B, through June. Unfortunately, Dr. B says that my bone quality is not yet ready for a revision surgery. He blames this on my endocrinologist avoiding the use of Forteo, which is the most effective bone-builder, according to some. He says that waiting until 2010 for my next DEXA scan should be fine. Probably, the longer I wait, the better the chance of having dense enough bones show up in the scan. So this means, NO SURGERY THIS YEAR. I'm just going to have to get used to that, I guess. Have to adjust to staying sick a lot longer than I'd hoped.

There's a really interesting article I found on POTS. It's pretty good at describing the lifestyle:
http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20090531%2FNEWS0107%2F905310408%2F1041&nav_category

Here's an interesting article on the reasons why Chiari surgeries fail:
http://www.conquerchiari.org/subs%20only/Volume%205/Issue%205(4)/Symposium%20Failed%20Surgery%205(4).asp

The most exciting news: There is a Conquer Chiari Walk Across America site in Palatine again this year. The walk will be on Saturday, September 26th. All the information can be found here: http://www.conquerchiari.org/walk%2009/Walk%2009%20General%20Info.htm