Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Why the delay?

Post nasal drip is giving me the feeling that I need to cough constantly. So my head is still killing me from the excessive coughing. Ugh.

In March 2008, I was diagnosed with mild osteopenia. I was told it would take about 12 months of treatment to prepare my bones for revision surgery. So, I went to an endocrinologist, seeking treatment for my weakening bones. Unfortunately, this endocrinologist thought that I was crazy, asking for strong medications for having bones that were simply on the low side of normal density. After one appointment, this doctor refused to see me ever again or treat me.

In June 2008, I had my de-tethering surgery, which just felt like a stupid stop along the way to recovery. So, I made it through that surgery, and as soon as physically possible, I was out seeking treatment for my bones again. I was even more convinced of the necessity of the surgery after my Invasive Cervical Traction. In this procedure, they lifted my skull off my spine, and showed that many of my symptoms will be instantly relieved. Unfortunately, it wasn't until December of 2008 that I found a doctor willing to treat my osteopenia.

Even then, my doctor is using "conservative" methods to treat my bones. So, it's not certain whether or not my bones will be ready in time for my next DEXA scan, in 2010.

So, that is the reason for the delay in my revision surgery, which was supposed to take place this summer (like, right now). Instead, it's much more likely that I will have to wait a whole extra year until surgery. I'll aim for spring 2010, if possible. It's just hard to imagine being sick so much longer than I need to. It's also hard to imagine that I could be getting this surgery over with right now, but instead, I will have to anxiously await surgery for quite a bit longer.

Answer to the question: Blame the endocrinologist.